Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Story of : My Wedding Without Fins

My wedding was held last February at a Chinese restaurant in Bukit Utama. We had a total of 355 Chinese guests, and I did not serve shark fin soup. Instead of trying to get through the whole function without the guests noticing the absence of the soup and potentially starting gossip, I created a special thank you card to explain why I chose not to serve shark fin soup.


Believe me, it wasn't an easy task; I faced obstacles that felt like hell to get that card on the tables. Some of the elderly guests disagreed with my shark fin education initiative, finding it offensive.

I felt heartbroken, with my emotions shaken from the inside out. It was the first time I had received such harsh criticism, leaving me devastated. However, I refused to give up. I firmly believe in the power of change, whether it comes now or later, it's better than never. So, in the end, I successfully placed the card on the tables during "MY WEDDING" dinner.

This experience made me realize the pressure and fear that may hold back some people who are aware of important issues but can't openly show their support. It isn't easy, I assure you, but it was a significant breakthrough for me. Finally, they accepted and understood me for who I truly am, not who I pretended to be.

To all the new couples getting married out there, I encourage you to educate your guests in the most creative ways possible. And to all the shark lovers, don't hesitate to inspire your friends, including those who are about to get married, to join the "Proactive group." 

Good Luck! Your efforts can make a difference!"



No comments: